1 the paved surface of a thoroughfare [syn: paving]
2 material used to pave an area [syn: paving]
3 walk consisting of a paved area for pedestrians; usually beside a street or roadway [syn: sidewalk]
- In the context of "chiefly|UK": A paved footpath at the side of a road.
- Any paved exterior surface, as with a road or sidewalk.
- The interior flooring, especially when of stone, of large buildings such as a cathedral.
- The material with which a surface is paved.
- Rioting youths swarmed across a downtown Paris plaza... hurling stones and chunks of pavement at police... http://www.dailytexanonline.com/media/storage/paper410/news/2006/04/05/WorldNation/Youths.Riot.In.France.To.Protest.New.Job.Law-1782963.shtml?norewrite200608311258&sourcedomain=www.dailytexanonline.com
- Bosnian: trotoar
- Chinese: 人行道 (rénxíngdào)
- Croatian: trotoar
- Czech: chodník
- Danish: fortov
- Dutch: stoep
- Finnish: jalkakäytävä, katukäytävä
- French: trottoir
- German: Bürgersteig
- Interlingua: trottoir
- Italian: marciapiede
- Polish: chodnik
- Portuguese: calçada
- Russian: тротуар
- Swedish: trottoar
surface of road
Pavement may refer to:
- Pavement (material), the durable surfacing of roads and walkways ("road surface" in British English)
- Sidewalk, a walkway along the side of a road ("pavement" in British English and Philadelphia dialect)
- Pavement (architecture), a floor-like stone or tile structure
- Pavement (band), an indie rock band from Stockton, California
- Pavement (magazine), a youth culture magazine, published in New Zealand.
- Pavement Records, a record label
- Portuguese pavement, the traditional paving used in most pedestrian areas in Portugal ("Calçada Portuguesa" in Portuguese)
- Road surface marking, highway surface markings intended to convey information
- Limestone pavement, a naturally occurring level outcrop
Tarmac, Tarvia, adobe, ashlar, asphalt, base, basement, basis, bearing wall, bed, bedding, bedrock, bitumen, bituminous macadam, blacktop, brick, bricks and mortar, carpet, carpeting, cement, clinker, cobble, cobblestone, concrete, cover, covering materials, curb, curbing, curbstone, deck, doormat, drop cloth, duckboards, earth, edgestone, ferroconcrete, firebrick, flag, flagging, flagstone, floor, floor covering, floorboards, flooring, fond, footing, foundation, fundament, fundamental, gravel, ground, ground cloth, ground-sheet, grounds, groundwork, hardpan, kerb, kerbstone, lath and plaster, macadam, masonry, mat, mortar, parquet, pave, pavestone, paving, paving material, paving stone, plasters, prestressed concrete, principle, radical, riprap, road metal, rock bottom, roofage, roofing, rudiment, rug, seat, siding, sill, solid ground, solid rock, stereobate, stone, stylobate, substratum, substruction, substructure, surfacing, tarmacadam, terra firma, tile, tiling, underbuilding, undercarriage, undergirding, underpinning, understruction, understructure, walling, washboard, welcome mat